Observed yearly on the final Monday in May, Memorial Day is put aside to honor the men and women who’ve died in service to our nation. While Memorial Day didn’t turn into an official nationwide vacation till 1971, its origins start with the Civil War.
The quiz under, from the Ashbrook Center at Ashland University, supplies a chance so that you can check your information of the historical past of and customs related to Memorial Day.
1. What was Memorial Day initially known as?
A. War Remembrance Day
B. Decoration Day
C. Veterans Day
D. Armed Forces Day
2. In 1868, which former Union basic issued an order that known as for a nationwide day of remembrance for many who died within the Civil War?
A. John Logan
B. Nathaniel Banks
C. George McClellan
D. Theodore Barrett
3. Historic paperwork level to an earlier day of remembrance, in 1865, when freed slaves, U.S. Colored Troops and native residents organized a ceremony to honor Union troops who died close to what metropolis?
A. Vicksburg, Miss.
B. Manassas, Va.
C. Gettysburg, Pa.
D. Charleston, S.C.
4. Other cities additionally declare to be the birthplace of Memorial Day. In 1966, Congress declared which metropolis because the official birthplace?
A. Sharpsburg, Md.
B. Springfield, Mo.
C. Waterloo, N.Y.
D. Galveston, Texas
5. Which of the next Memorial Day actions have been codified into legislation?
A. Issuance of an annual presidential proclamation
B. National Moment of Remembrance
C. Flying flags at federal authorities buildings at half-staff from daybreak till 12 p.m.
D. All of the Above
6. The poppy is a Memorial Day and Veterans Day image of remembrance and is usually worn on one’s clothes. Which of the next humanitarians is known as “The Poppy Lady” for her position in creating the custom?
A. Moina Michael
B. Dorothy Day
8. Which well-known nationwide monument was devoted on Memorial Day in 1922?
A. Washington Monument
B. Jefferson Memorial
C. Lincoln Memorial
D. D.C. World War I Memorial
9. Which U.S. senator and veteran campaigned for 25 years, till his dying in 2012, to have Memorial Day modified again to its authentic date of May 30?
A. John McCain of Arizona
B. Daniel Inouye of Hawaii
C. Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey
D. Ernest Hollings of South Carolina
10. Between 1988 and 2019, a veterans group staged a Memorial Day motorbike rally within the nation’s capital to attract consideration to Vietnam-era service personnel lacking in motion or prisoners of struggle. What was the title of the group?
A. The Punishers
B. Iron Order
C. Buffalo Soldiers
D. Rolling Thunder
Answers: 1-B, 2-A, 3-D, 4-C, 5-D, 6-A, 7-C, 8-C, 9-B, 10-D
Jason W. Stevens is director of instructor packages on the Ashbrook Center at Ashland University, Ashland, Ohio, and editor of Ashbrook’s “Causes of the Civil War: Core Documents